Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Letter to Elliana, November 4, 2009


Dear Elliana,

It is so hard to believe you are in first grade! I remember first grade fairly clearly…so to think that you are now that age is amazing.

You grew really tall this summer, and your legs are up to your earlobes. Last year at this time I was worried your coordination might never come together, but in July you hopped on your bike and rode around the block within a few hours. As you would say, “No training wheels necessary!" Your little brain is a sponge, and you read read read. I have already had to tell you not to bring your books to the dinner table, something I have been hearing Granny tell Uncle Mark my whole life! It is very clear to me that you will never struggle with academics. I think you are realizing that too, considering you race through your homework and constantly want to move on to the next thing. I am trying to teach you to slow down, breathe, and enjoy the fact you can take your time with your work. It is also my little trick for getting you to write slower and practice your handwriting!

You love the monkey bars. Every day you come back from school and tell me how many times your crossed the monkey bars at recess. You have a callous on the palm of each hand, and you hate the fact that your jacket falls past your wrists because you have to shake your arm before grabbing the monkey bars. I sometimes think your entire day revolves around your success or failure on those bars. Haha….

This is a funny stage for you and me. Every day you make me so happy and I love watching you discover the world now that you can read and write at such an advanced level. At the same time, my patience easily runs thin with you because you think you need to talk super loud in order to be heard, and I can no longer get away with a “preschool” answer to your many questions. You want the real-world version of things, and finding a way to explain life in a way you can understand is a challenge. It is a challenge I welcome, but it also makes me want to go to bed really early! But as soon as you exhaust me, you say something so funny that we both laugh our heads off, and your laugh is so brilliantly contagious.

Speaking of which, you are growing and learning so much that you are exhausted! Some nights I think you are genuinely sleeping before your head hit’s the pillow. I would imagine that following the rules all day long and coming home to be the leader with your sisters is a very tiring existence. I often need to remind you to take time to yourself and be alone. I have a feeling I will tell you that a lot throughout your life.

Elliana, you bring so much joy to my life. You teach me something new every day, and you are always challenging me to be a better mom. I can’t sneak anything past you anymore, and so you keep me accountable (God forbid I go through a yellow light or not check every piece of your Halloween candy before you eat it!) … Your attention to the rules is so endearing, and will make you very successful in life.

I love you so much. Keep being you.

Love,
Mommy

No comments: